Why to upgrade your Magento?
Magento has released its first Community Edition version - v1 in 2008 and first Enterprise Edition version - v1.6 in 2009. Since then it evolved at great speed and kept releasing new versions, updates, patches and Repair tools on timely Bases. Latest version as on January 2016 is Magento 18.104.22.168 and Magento 2.0.1 respective series.
Magento Community 22.214.171.124 and Magento Enterprise 126.96.36.199 are latest in 1.x series and were released In January 2016 along with Security Patch Supee-7405. At the same point of time Magento 2 was updated with Magento 2.0.1 community.
A large number of stores are still running on older community versions like 1.7 and 1.8. There are multiple reasons why a merchant should get his store version upgraded regularly.
- New versions means new features and fixed bugs. Not upgrading to a latest versions will lead to fewer facilities and unfixed errors while running your e-business.
- The older versions are more vulnerable to security attacks. The attacks can lead even to a hacked store, financial loss and credit card details theft. Magento has released several security patches as well. Stores must get such magento security patches implemented but when a new magento version is released should update to it soon.
- Developers develop Magento Extensions and Themes considering latest version of Magento hence older version may cause issues with extension updates.
- Magento 2.0 is even more user centric and provides astonishingly refreshing UI at back end and great theme on frontend.
How to upgrade Magento Version?
There are three major steps of upgrading magento from older versions like 1.6, 1.7 and 1.8 to latest version of magento 188.8.131.52 and Magento 2.0.1
- Download and setup latest version into your server.
- Merge Community, Local, Media, Theme, Custom folders from Skin, custom xml files from modules, any custom admin theme folder, custom js files and folders from old magento to new magento
- Edit database details in local.xml file.
These three step process is very crucial for health of magento and sustainable online business hence should always be done by experienced hands only. Make sure your store updated by professions as like we do have at Milople.
How Milople upgrades your Magento store version?
Milople upgrades store to 184.108.40.206 and Magento 2.0.1 Our expert Magento developers have upgraded several single and multi store installations till now and take a proven way to upgrade your Magento store. Here are important steps we execute while updating Magento store.
- Take backup of your current store
- Create a test store on your or our server
- Prepare a list of major customization and extensions of your store
- Upgrade magento store to latest version
- Test the store for mismatch and conflicts occurred due to version upgrade
- Resolve issues generated due to upgrade.
- Final testing and Make the new store Live
While updating store to Magento 2.0, we take following steps as well into consideration.
- Rebuild the theme for Magento 2.0.1
- Migrate the products, customers and order data from Magento 1.X to Magento 2.0.1 with our multiple time tested and used Data migration tool.
- Get Magento 2 extensions from vendor or rebuild if necessary.